Monday, February 15, 2010

I hate the Gynaecology ward !!!!!

I apologise for not being able to post for the longest time in history..All thanks to my virus infected laptop..I'll be publishing posts about whatever happened during the past month in chronlogical order...

Start of Feb -

What do you do when you are supposed to be perfect at something that you're doing for the very first time ! What do you do when your friends expect you to do something for them and when you do it you're in hot water ! What do you do when you're held responsible for something that wasn't entirely your fault, if fault at all !

This week has been a roller coaster ride with its own peaks and troughs ! I'm done with my rotation at the ENT ward and am now posted in the gynaecology and obstetrics ward..I remember mentioning in one of my previous posts that ENT wasnt exactly my area of interest, as for gynae the only word I have is repulsive. I'd rather jump off a cliff then specialize in this field. I cant decide wether its the gross nature of examinations or the uncooperative ( read- fire breathing) doctors in this ward that've led me to this degree of aloofness towards this field..

Wondering how I ended in hot waters that I wrote at the very start of this post ? Here it goes..

We had an evening duty on Thursday (Our very first evening duty) which meant attending college from 8 30 - 2 30 (including the two hours of morning ward duties) and then off to the evening duty till about 8 pm. Since it was our first week at the new ward, we really had no idea of how things functioned plus thing turned really dull when we sat clueless in the ward, unaware of our duties, for three hours with no one to supervise us ! This really irritated my wardmates who asked me, the ward captain, to call a doctor and get assistance. I tried calling the supervisor , but to no avail. And then, I did the horrendous mistake of calling the second doctor incahrge who picked up the phone only to tell me that she wasnt the person to be called. Fair enough ! Now here comes the twister..friday afternoon I get a call from the supervisor who yells at me for calling the other doctor (who I later came to know was a consultant - The sleeping dragon). She also said that she'll meet me in person ( to scold me face to face I guess). Gladly I havent seen her around in the past four days and was able to succesfully dodge her today. Whats amazing is that I dont have any idea about what was wrong about what I did. Our rules book clearly says that we can the consultant in case of any queries !!

Besides that our research project is in the practical stage now ! It was a lot of hardwork to get it to this stage..And ofcourse the annual dinner preparations are on at a full throttle. Which involves running around, meetings, publicity, a search for sponsors and what not !!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Najwa!
    I am guessing that perhaps the reason the ward supervisor was upset with you is because they got into trouble for not being there to supervise your group (as they should have been). So instead of taking the responsibility, they are taking it out on you. Some people are like that, where they do not feel they are responsible for their actions. Just guessing, but perhaps this is what happened.

    Thanks for posting... I'm glad you are able to post again. Try to keep those nasty viruses off your laptop!
    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right ! After I gave it a thought I realized the reason behind the supervisor's absurd behaviour

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete