Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ramadan, Iftar parties and unexpected rains !

A glimpse of the rain from my window

Its after sunset here in Karachi and I just sat down to blog after breaking my fast.Its the month of Ramadan (Acc to Islamic calender) in which all the muslims fast from dawn to dusk and refrain from all kinds of food,drinks and sinful activities. With Ramadan comes not only a lot of worship but Iftar parties as well.People invite those who fast at their homes and they break the fast togethor.We just had an Iftar party at my friend Faryal's place who was more than excited to have us over since she's leaving to meet her parents in Saudi Arabia tommorrow and will be coming back after two long months !

Faryal and her delicious cutlets !
It was a good thing that we had the party in the weekend because just as the weekend ended all of a sudden the met department announced thunderous rains.It was most unexpected since its post-monsoon time in Karachi and it rarely rains in this season.Let alone rain so heavily that the entire sky went dark and it rained for like two days on an on and off basis.It was fun at the start (yes, fun,there is so much of sunshine in Karachi that people call cloudy weather pleasant and rainy days fun !!) but soon I grew tired because there was too much water on the roads, there were traffic jams and I had to miss two days of college. I was hoping the temperature would go down after the rain but it was so hot today that it seemed it had never rained, the only indication was the humidity !! I'm pretty sure the temperature was somewhere around 36 C.

The dark clouds (This pic was taken by my friend Maria)




Even this pic doesn't do justice to how dark it got at 12 noon ( Pic-Courtesy of Maria)

2 comments:

  1. That is a lot of rain for your area, it seems. Why did you miss classes? Did it flood the buildings? I feel badly for you with the heat, as adding the humidity makes it feel even worse. I hope you are enjoying Ramadan and the Iftar parties, Najwa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes that was a lot of rain for our area Carl.It usually rains in monsoon but that period ends in July.Fortunately, it did nt rain as heavyily to flood the buildings but I had to miss college because of the road blocks and traffic jams. I'm just glad its over :)

    ReplyDelete